Vape Shop Rains Down Flaming Debris and Sends Cotton Candy Flavored Shock Waves Through the City

Soifer /
Soifer /

The quiet of night was rocked in Clinton Township, Michigan, as a local vaping supply distributor suddenly went up in flames. The store was loaded with improperly stored tanks of butane and other flammable materials, and a 19-year-old was killed by flying debris. A firefighter at the scene was seriously injured, too. With canisters frequently exploding, the sky was filled with makeshift rockets and mortars as the canisters went up in flames.

In a news release on the town’s website, officials said, “According to the (fire department), stored in the facility, among other items, were containers of butane, nitrous oxide, lighter fluid, and vape pens. Containers, or canisters, were 12 to 18 inches in size, weighing 10 to 15 pounds.” A local fixture in the vaping community, the company was identified as “Goo LLC” and was licensed as a retail mercantile business.

Located in a former supermarket, it was not set up for this kind of storage or use. Instead, it was set up as a storefront with a massive backroom for product storage. During the fire and resulting explosions, the store was closed, but employees were filling cartridges at the time of the fire.

According to Fire Chief Time Duncan, the shop had been storing over 100,000 vape pens and had received a full truckload of butane earlier in the week. At the time of the explosion, they had run through approximately half of that order. However, nitrous oxide, propane, and other products were stored in various places.

With explosions heard over seven miles away, there was no missing this fire. As officers responded, they were able to feel the explosions from a far distance away. Debris, including throwing stars and switchblade knives, were found up to two miles from the explosion. The 19-year-old who was killed was a quarter mile away and hit in the head by scattered debris. Meanwhile, the firefighter who was injured suffered his injuries from flying glass caused by the explosions.